General SettingsChoose the script by selecting its name from the main menu, and clicking "Select".
LettersThis page allows you to query the Indoskript database for letters. Letters can be selected by a wide set of criteria:
The transliteration of the searched letter; use % as a wildcard (= any letter).
This field is obligatory.
This table lists the (special) keys for typing transliterated input:
Letter Key Additional key(s) ā A Shift ī I Shift ū U Shift ṛ R Shift ṝ R Ctrl+Alt ḷ L Shift ē E Shift ō O Shift ṅ N Shift+Alt ñ N Alt ṭ T Shift ḍ D Shift ṇ N Shift ś S Shift+Alt ṣ S Shift ṃ M Shift anunasika M Ctrl+Alt ḥ H Shift
- Lower and upper date: Restricts the date of the containing manuscript. Note that the filter is applied to the average date of the manuscript.
- Collections: Indoskript comes with a number of predefined manuscript collections. This criterion restricts the search to the selected manuscript collection.
- Historical places and persons:
Some manuscript records contain additional information about historical places and persons mentioned in them.
Note: Historical places are not necessarily identical with the place of origin of a manuscript!
When you choose one of these criteria, search is restricted to manuscripts that contain
mention either such a place or person.
Places and persons contained in the manuscripts that are selected by other search criteria are printed red in these lists.
- Manuscript ID: This field lists the unique ids of all manuscripts in the current script. Choosing this value restricts letter search to the single manuscript with the selected id.
- Geographical criteria: The map shows the distribution of the currently selected manuscripts as blue rectangles. When you hover over the map, the name of these active places are shown as popups. You can restrict the geographical range of the search by drawing a rectangular region in this map (left click, keep button pressed, and move the mouse pointer). The resulting boundary coordinates are shown in non-editable fields to the left of the map.
ManuscriptsThis page provides an overview of all manuscripts in the selected script. You can filter the manuscripts using the same criteria as for letters.
Clicking on the name of a manuscript forwards you to the detail page for this manuscript. This page contains the annotation from the original Indoskript database.
Clicking on the term "Table" forwards you to an overview of all letters contained in this manuscript. Letters are grouped by vocalization, which can be changed by using the selection list "Vocalization" at the top of the page. Variants of a letter and complex letters can be accessed by clicking the link "Var." to the right of the letter name.
Cross TablesCross tables provide an overview of letters across different manuscripts. They are useful for investigating the historical development of letters.
Manuscripts are found in the rows, and letters in the columns of the cross-table. Add manuscripts and letters by pressing the respective buttons. If a selected letters is not contained in one of the selected manuscripts, its cell in the resulting cross-table remains empty.